Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Confession

In 2010 I got my fist daycare job, at a place that we will call Hell. I actually loved what I did and most of the people that I worked with, but the owner made poor decisions and some of the original staff SUCKED. When I started, I had a year of school behind me but no previous experience in a classroom. So I started off as an assistant. My lead teacher was very awesome and helpful and nice. We are still friends to this day. One of the other assistants in the room, however, was not as nice or helpful. In fact, working with her made me rethink why I was doing what I was doing. She made me feel like I never did anything right, that she had to do all the work (although I was completely capable!), never smiled or gave me any indication that she liked being around me... You know, just that kind of attitude.

Well, within a few months of working there, she got fired for some reason or another. I was working during the time she got fired and remember I had to take over her shift that evening. (Yes, a daycare with extended hours. Open 5 am to midnight, ugh.) No sadness from me once she was gone. I worked there for nearly 2 years afterwards and it had its ups and downs, but nobody ever made me feel that way again!

Today at work, (two jobs and many positions later), I found out that this girl handed in her resume to be considered for a position! I still have mixed feelings about it :/ When I first heard the news, I just remember how she made me so.... Useless and unwanted. I talked to my old lead teacher and she said that if this girl gets hired, now I can be the mean one.

But what kind of example is that, especially in front of the littles? If she does in fact get hired (part of me is still hoping she won't) then I think I will have a little smile inside knowing how far I've come since I first met her. I'm not that useless new girl she made me out to be. I AM an awesome lead teacher, and I will let it be known!

No comments:

Post a Comment